Roads and Infrastructure
As part of its responsibilities, LAMATA has continued to improve on the quality of roads specified under the Declared Road Network (DRN) which is under its supervision. Since the commencement of the Lagos Urban Transport Project (LUTP 1) in 2005, substantial IDA funds have been invested in this component due to the deplorable state of roads that existed before LUTP interventions on the 632 km DRN, identified as main bus public transport routes.
Maintaining, upgrading, and rehabilitating the strategic road network is vital for proper planning and development of other sub-sector modes (Bus, BRT, Rail, Ferry, Traffic Management System, Non-Motorised Transport), within an effective integrated multi-mode public transport system. There were basically 4 types of road maintenance interventions implemented under this component. These are routine, recurrent, periodic, and rehabilitation.
These are cleaning activities of road surface and drainage systems executed by small-scale labor-based contractors. Under the Lagos Urban Transport Project1 (LUTP1), about 405 routine maintenance contracts were awarded and implemented on the entire DRN throughout the project cycle
These are small localized repairs such as potholes filling, repair of small sections of surface and drainage structure repairs executed by medium scale equipment-based contractors. Under recurrent maintenance, 104 contracts were awarded and implemented on 275km of roads under LUTP1.
These are bituminous overlays on road sections which are degraded but structurally still intact. Such works are executed by large scale contractors
These are repair works on-road sections which are structurally damaged. Such works are carried out by large-scale contractors.
Interventions were carried out and completed on 51.5km of roads. These are;
- Alaba/Ojo-Igbede & Old Ojo [Ojo], Adetola, Babs Animashaun, Ojerinde & Fagbenro [Surulere]
- Bishop Oluwole, Saka Tinubu, Idejo, Kofo Abayomi, Apese, Ologun Agbaje, Eletu Ogabi, Agoro Odiyan & Ogalade Close [All V/Island] & Keffi [Ikoyi]
- Ayo Alabi [Ikeja], Command [Ipaja], Ladipo [Mushin], Ikotun/Ijegun [Alimosho], Ipakodo [Ikorodu]
- Mile12-Jibowu & Jibowu-Mile 12 [Ikorodu Road Service Lane]
Segregated busways along Mile12-CMS BRT corridor
- Construction of underground drainage on WEMPCO Road from Mobil intersection at Ogba into omole Gorge
- Rehabilitation of Sinari Daranijo Street V.I
- Upgrading of Akin Adesola Road Works
- Rehabilitation of Abimbola Awoniyi Close, Sir Samuel Manuwa Street and Bishop Aboyade Cole
- Construction of Drainage Channel Wempco, Road
- Rehabilitation of Ajelogo Market Street, Mile 12
- Rehabilitation of WEMPCO Road, Ogba.
- Periodic Maintenance of Lisabi/Apata Road
- Construction of Mile 12 to CMS Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lite corridor
- Construction of BRT Extension from Mile 12 to Ikorodu
- Construction of Ikeja Bus Terminal
- Construction of Oyingbo Bus Terminal
- Construction of Oshodi to Abule Egba Bus Rapid Transit
- Construction of MMA Mafoluku Bus Terminal
- Construction of Yaba Bus Terminal